Novozaslavsky Castle — eleven rooms with Venetian glass, and the Sangushko “little Versailles”

1637. The earliest surviving description of Novozaslavsky Castle: a palace of eleven rooms and six chambers.

The chambers — with windows set in lead and Venetian glass panes.

In the 17th century, on the Volhynian borderlands — Venetian glass in the windows. Not a sign of accessibility, but a sign of who the Zaslavsky family were.



General Information

What?Description
NameNovozaslavsky Castle and Sangushko Palace
Addresscity of Iziaslav, Iziaslav district, Khmelnytska oblast
Locationpromontory at the confluence of the Ponora and Horyn rivers
First mention1579 (Novy Zaslav)
Zaslavsky castle2nd half of the 16th century
1637 descriptiongatehouse + palace with 11 rooms + 6 chambers with lead-framed Venetian windows
Sangushko Palace1754–1770 (for Barbara Sangushkova)
1746visited by Polish King August III Friedrich
Statusarchitectural monument; ruins

Two Towns and a New Castle

Iziaslav stands where the Horyn receives the Ponora. In the 16th century there were two towns on opposite banks:

  • Old Zaslav (and the Old Zaslavsky Castle — a separate article) — on the right bank
  • New Zaslav — on the left, founded by princes Janusch and Mykhailo Zaslavsky around 1579

New Zaslav developed rapidly: within a few years it received Magdeburg rights. Simultaneously the Zaslavskys built a new castle on the promontory — a strategically superior position with more modern fortifications.


1637: A Description With Windows

The earliest preserved description: 1637. The castle consists of a masonry gatehouse and a palace with 11 rooms and 6 chambers with lead-framed windows and Venetian glass panes.

In the second half of the 17th century New Zaslav fell into decay and “appeared to be a wasteland without upkeep.”


The Sangushkos and the Revival

18th century — the Sangushko family undertook the revival.

Reconstruction was led first by Prince Pavlo Karl Sangushko, then his descendants. In 1754–1770 a Baroque palace for Princess Barbara Sangushkova was built as a private residence and administrative centre for the family’s Volhynian estates.

The palace: the ground floor for the family’s private use; the second floor representational. Inside — an oval vestibule with monumental stairs leading up to the reception halls.

1746 — while the palace was still under construction — Polish King August III Friedrich visited New Zaslav.

Napoleon Orda painted the castle complex for his album.


1852 and Decline

1852 — the Sangushkos removed their valuables from the castle. Gradual decline followed.

Today — ruins of the complex.


Practical Information

  • Entry: free (ruins)
  • Condition: ruins of the palace complex
  • Time on site: 20–40 minutes
  • From Khmelnytskyi: ~60 miles (~100 km)

Conclusion

The Zaslavskys founded the town and castle in 1579.

In 1637 — windows in lead with Venetian glass.

Then decline. Then the Sangushkos, a baroque palace, a Polish king.

Then the valuables were removed — and ruins again.

Napoleon Orda painted it. It looked better then.

Recommended Articles