On the gatehouse tower of Chernelytsia Castle — two coats of arms.
On the outside: “Pogon” — the arms of the Chartorysky princes who built the castle.
On the inside: “Pilawa” — with Latin initials Y.S.Kh.S.V.B., standing for: Yefrosynia Stanislavitska, Princess Chartoryska, Voivodess of Bracław.
Two people. One castle. Both coats of arms on the same gate.







General Information
| What? | Description |
|---|---|
| Name | Chernelytsia Castle |
| Address | vul. L. Ukrainky, 1, Chernelytsia urban-type settlement, Kolomyia district, Ivano-Frankivska oblast |
| Coordinates | 48°48′44″N, 25°25′48″E |
| First written mention | 1636 (complaint by Jadwiga Belzetska) |
| Built | 1659 (Mykhailo Chartorysky) |
| Area | 4.9 acres (2 ha) |
| Walls | height 20 ft (6 m), thickness 8 ft (2.5 m) |
| Bastions | 4 pointed, at the corners |
| Status | national architectural monument |
Jadwiga and the First Mention of 1636
Before the Chartorysky family, Chernelytsia was owned by Jadwiga Belzetska of the Yazlovetskyy family — the last of the Yazlovetsky line. In 1636 she filed a complaint with the Halychyna land court against her son-in-law — Kyiv voivode Janusch Tyshkevych — who had attacked and looted her estates including “the town of Chernelytsia with the castle.”
This is the earliest known written mention of the castle. It already existed before 1636 — the exact date of construction is unknown.
Chartorysky and the New Castle
1659 — Mykhailo Yuriy Chartorysky, Bracław voivode, built the present stone castle.
A square site of 4.9 acres (2 ha), built to the new bastion system. Four pointed bastions at the corners. Walls 20 ft (6 m) high and 8 ft (2.5 m) thick, with loop-holes for firearms. In the centre of the western wall — a two-storey gatehouse tower with an arched passage framed in white stone.
Sobieski, Provisions, and Destroyed Twice
1672 and 1676 — the Ottoman army twice captured and demolished the castle during the Polish-Turkish War.
1685–1691 — Jan III Sobieski, on his Moldavian campaigns against the Turks, used the rebuilt castle as a storage depot for provisions and fodder. He stayed here in person on several occasions.
The Gallery with Rubens and Raphael
After the Chartorysky family, the castle passed successively to the Haletsky, Potocki, Stanets’ky and Tsensky families.
Maurytsy Tsensky — the last owner who actually lived in the castle — assembled a remarkable collection: paintings by Rubens, Raphael and other masters, a library, an archive.
1817 — Maurytsy died. His son left Chernelytsia — and took the entire library, archive and picture gallery with him.
The castle stood empty. A hospital was built alongside it, some of its buildings pressing directly against the castle walls.
What Survives Today
The best-preserved element — the gatehouse tower with its two coats of arms. Fragments of the bastion walls. The outline of the square inner ward.
Practical Information
- Entry: free
- Condition: gatehouse tower + wall fragments
- Time on site: 20–40 minutes
- From Ivano-Frankivsk: ~40 miles (~65 km)
Conclusion
Jadwiga complained about her son-in-law, and thanks to that complaint we know the castle existed by 1636.
Chartorysky built it and put two coats of arms on the gate.
Sobieski stored hay and grain here.
Tsensky took the Rubens and left.
The tower stands.